Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why We Must Give to Ourselves

I wanted to say something about why I feel its important to give to yourself everyday. You may already see reasons, but I want to clarify a few things.

First, I should again be clear that this gift to yourself is not necessarily a material gift, not a new shirt just for the fun of it, but something that contributes to your overall well being, your betterment. Why I see the importance of this daily gift comes from a time in my life 2 years back when I was dealing with some difficult issues and became very ill. In order to get better, I did a lot of searching for myself and took time off in order to take care of my mind and body and become a healthy person that would stay healthy. Some days, I would sleep almost the whole day. Other days I would do more. But every day I was recovering, I made a point to do one thing for myself every day, one thing that would help me and humble me at the same time. Most of the time, this one thing ended up being yoga. Yoga helped me think outside of myself, out of my own problems, and find a peace with my body and mind in this world. It helped quiet me. And as I was doing it, I became healthier, physically and mentally. Some days were harder than others to get myself moving and do this one thing, others I was excited to. But once I was doing it, I always felt the same sense of healing and peace.

I hope you wil consider the power of giving to yourself, and discover how it can be simultaneously fulfilling and humbling. Please share with me your journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment