Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010 Goals and Taking Steps

So today I read over the 29 gifts website a bit (www.29gifts.org), and was reading about being mindful of giving to others each day. Having this on me early in the morning, I set out thinking about ways to give to someone without 1.costing me money (my finances don't lend me the luxury) or 2.making an effort so big that its false. So, I let my day unfold fairly naturally, all the while keeping my eyes open for an opportunity for me to give. I finally had the chance when I was getting into my car after dance class tonight in West Hollywood. My car was parked in a great spot right off of Santa Monica Blvd, and at the time I was leaving class about 7, it was nearly impossible to find a spot. A woman shouted to me as I was getting in my car, asking if I would wait to leave so she could take my spot. I almost didn't hear her, but stopped myself to gather what she was asking before saying "yes" and waiting for her to pull up next to me. A perfect opportunity to give a stranger the coveted spot. Maybe it was a small gift, but it was still a gift!

Thats something to think about. The size of the gift. The size doesn't really matter, its the process of giving that is the true focus. On the site 29 gifts, founder Cami Walker says you can give away anything you want. Something as small and simple as a smile, as long as it comes from an authentic place of wanting to give.

For myself, today I began my first ballroom dance lesson! I got a scholarship for a month of dance classes, learning dances like the basic waltz, salsa, tango, flamenco and so on. I'm so excited! I love dancing and have always wanted to learn the spicier side of it. It was definitely a way to better myself, as I got my body moving and working and had some fun.

I'd like to share my list of goals for the year. I think writing down goals is important, at least for me, and definitely effective. If you have them in front of you constantly, you are always reminded of them and make more of a conscious effort to achieve them, even if you take baby steps to get there. Also, that way you have the satisfaction of crossing them off when you accomplish one! So I made myself a list of things I want to accomplish, do, or acquire in 2010 and here they are (in no particular order):

- Publish a poem in a literary journal/magazine
- Get a commerical agent
- Be able to run 2 miles without stopping
- Be able to do 25 full pushups (in a row!)
- Pay back a friend :-)
- Pay off my credit card bill
- Start comedy troupe
- Learn my favorite Chopin piece onthe piano
- Write a musical

Some of these things may seem silly to you, like running 2 miles or 25 pushups or writing a musical, but they are things I want to do for me that I've struggled with or have been meaning to do and I know this is the year I can and WILL succeed with them.

I'd love to hear your goals and the things you do for yourself and for others to better you and the world.

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment